My kids are super excited about Christmas, I am rarely excited by Christmas. I let to-do lists get in the way of enjoying the Christmas lead up. Last year on the 14th of December I bought a cheap chocolate filled advent calendar. Cakey loved it, probably because she got to eat 14 days worth of chocolate in one go. This year I thought I would make more of an effort!
I love paper craft so I decided to make my own Christmas advent calendar consisting of 24 mini envelopes (x 2) filled with chocolate coins, stickers and special notes from Santa's elves. I devised a design that is hugely labour intensive... meaning that I am likely to do this only once. Having said that, it is very cute and I am happy with the way it has turned out.
|The supplies (you can download the envelope template below)|
I designed a printable template for mini envelopes (which you are free to download) that I printed on Christmas scrapbooking paper. Here are the steps to make them:
- Cut scrapbook paper to fit printer.
- Print mini envelope template on the white side of the scrapbook paper (2 envelopes to a page).
- (optional) Score the folds with a bone folder, this makes it easier to fold the flaps later.
- Cut around the envelope template using a scalpel or stanley knife and ruler.
- Fold all the flaps and glue together with a gluestick.
- Wipe up any excess glue and place the envelopes between the pages of a thick book so that they dry flat.
- Apply the date to the front of the envelopes – I used number stamps that I found in the scrapbooking section of Kmart but you could simply write the number on in gold ink.
- (optional) Cut rounded corners on the envelope flap using a corner cutter (I dropped my 10 year old corner cutter during this project, it smashed and I wimpered, goodbye corner cutter I will miss you).
- Fill your mini envelopes with skinny things – I chose coins, chocolate money, stickers and little notes from Santa's elves (you can download the notes too).
- On November 30th arrange your little envelopes for your kids to find in the morning. I am going to peg them to a little fake Chirstmas tree.
Want the template for the mini envelopes – click here
Want the little notes from Santa's elves – click here
Like the idea but think I am mad to spend my evenings cutting out mini envelopes.... yes well, my smart mother in law suggested buying those lovely bright red envelopes from Chinatown – same concept but a lot less work!
If you are in the mood to get a bit Christmassy have a look at my Christmas Pinterest Board. Stay tuned for more Christmas ideas in December – I have a few things planned. For more Christmas Advent Calendar ideas check out this post from Rainy Day Mum.
If this is your first visit to At home with Ali – welcome. If you like it, you can follow along via email, RSS or facebook. You can also find me on Pinterest and Instagram. Cheers Ali
Linked to Holiday Fun, festive friday, tip-toe tuesday and Countdown to Christmas